Habitat for Humanity
Director of Finance and HR
Reports to: Executive Director
Habitat for Humanity Monterey Bay is an independent locally operated and funded affiliate of Habitat for
Humanity International. Our mission is to build decent, affordable homes and provide home ownership
opportunities to qualified families who live and work in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties.
The Director of Finance & Human Resources provides financial direction and oversight to the
organization. He/She serves as a member of the management team that establishes and implements
policies and plans to meet the short and long-term objectives of the organization. He/She participates in
the Finance, Human Resources and Restore committees. Under the direction of the Executive Director,
he/she serves to ensure effective implementation of the organization’s strategic plan and operational
success of the Affiliate.
Most of our office employees work a few days in the office and a few days remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Oversees and manages Affiliates financial operations, ensuring prudent fiscal management,
reporting and controls.
● Responsible for operational fiscal budgeting, reporting, tithing and investment of funds as
● Administers the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitors the
monthly cash flow of the organization.
● Accounts Payable and Receivable management.
● Creates and reviews monthly financial statements with the Finance Committee.
● Prepares for the year-end financial audit. Ensures Affiliate’s tax returns are filed in a timely
● Works with the Construction Supervisor/Committee to establish project and site development
● Ensures construction costs are recorded appropriately and monitors construction costs of each
Habitat building project.
● Reviews annual budgets from store managers; implementing them into operational budgets.
● Works with store personnel to maintain smooth operation of the point-of-sale operation.
● Oversees the collection, payment and reporting of state sales tax.
● Coordinates with third-party HR provider to deliver:
Hiring and termination of employees
Administrate Affiliate’s benefits including group health care.
Manages Workers Compensation insurance and any arising claims.
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting or Business, with a minimum of 7 years experience
Experience with NetSuite, or Oracle ERP systems.
Prior experience in GAAP accounting for non-profits preferred.
Strong communication (oral/written) and listening skills.
High competency and experience level with excel, Powerpoint and other all MS Office applications
Proactive problem solver, with a willingness to try new ideas and demonstrate strategic vision.
Self-starter with ability to work both independently and with staff and volunteers.
Knowledge of home construction and mortgage servicing is helpful.
Commitment to the mission of Habitat for Humanity.
Results Oriented: Ensures adherence to established timelines and budgets. Seeks operational
improvement with a commitment to ongoing professional development for self and for staff.
Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national
origin, or disability.